This recipe for Paleo Sliders was very much inspired by my recently posted recipe for Spinach Pies. I realized the first time I pulled the Spinach Pies out of the oven that they are almost like mini sandwiches. So… I thought I would try the concept on sliders. Since going Paleo I have definitely gotten out of the habit of longing for a hamburger bun with my burger. But, I must say, it was quite nice to enjoy a bun like this one… especially since it is on a mini-burger and therefore not overly filling. One thing to note is that the juice from the burger does seep a bit into the bottom layer of bun. I personally enjoy that part of it, but if you don’t, you can always bake the buns without the burgers inside, cook the burgers separately, and then slice the buns in half to sandwich the slider. Also, if you are curious to see The Perfect Burger (#1) you can find it here.
The Perfect Burger (#2) – Paleo Sliders
Ingredients for the burgers:
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- Garlic Powder
- Toppings of choice
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
Ingredients for the crust:
- Bacon grease for coating muffin pan
- 1 ¼ cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 eggs, divided, room temperature
- ¼ cup water
- 1 packet yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon honey, slightly warmed
- Shape ground beef into patties, 2 ounces each. Season both sides of all patties with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Heat bacon grease in a large skillet over high heat.
- Sear the burgers by cooking them for about 1 minute, 30 seconds on the first side and 1 minute on the other side. The burgers will complete the cooking process in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 320ºF.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 12-muffin pan. Set aside.
- Place water in a small bowl and sprinkle yeast over the top. Set aside.
- Place almond meal, tapioca flour, and salt in a food processor and briefly pulse until consistent.
- Add the olive oil, egg yolks and water/yeast mixture and process just until the mixture is smooth. (If you are not using yeast you will still need to add the water.) Add honey and blend.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but still wet.
- Fold about 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the almond mixture to lighten it somewhat (it will still have a paste consistency).
- Now, fold the remainder of the egg whites and almond mixture into one another. Be careful to not over mix the batter!
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter into the bottom of each of the muffin cups.
- Place a burger patty over the batter, one in each muffin cup.
- Top the burger with toppings of choice. I like to use sautéed onions, mushrooms, and cheese.
- Spoon another 1-2 tablespoons of batter over the top of the sliders.
- Bake for 17 – 20 minutes, or until set and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately with Paleo Special Sauce.