This side dish makes a very hearty, bold statement… perfect for upcoming fall evening meals.
Smashed Rutabagas with Bacon, Jalapeño, and Blue Cheese
- 2 medium rutabagas, abut 2 lbs total
- 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter or bacon grease
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped into bits
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ¾ cup blue cheese crumbles, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off a ¼ inch slice from the top and bottom of rutabaga. Place cut side down on a cutting board and, using a knife, carefully trim away the outer peel. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Place the rutabagas in a steaming basket in a large pot. Fill water to just below the bottom of the basket. Steam, covered, for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender and easily pierced with a knife.
- In the meantime, cook bacon until crisp. Chop into bits once cool. Set aside bacon grease.
- Prep the remainder of the ingredients.
- Once soft, remove rutabagas and steaming basket from the pot and drain the water. Place the rutabagas back into the pot.
- Using a potato masher, roughly mash the rutabagas. Add the bacon grease, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add Greek yogurt and continue to mash until desired consistency is reached. Setting aside a little of each for garnish, add bacon, jalapeño, and green onions. Add ½ cup of blue cheese and mix and mash until just combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a soufflé dish or divided evenly among individual ramekins and top with remaining ¼ cup blue cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and top with remaining garnishes.
- Serve Immediately or keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
You may also be interested in: