I came up with this recipe for Hazelnut Chocolate Sandwich Cookies just after creating the recipe for Paleos: Chocolate Sandwich Cookies that is featured in the updated version of my desserts cookbook (If you have not gotten it yet, check it out here at Amazon.com). Both are really, really good, make me smile, and make great gifts.
Hazelnut-Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Makes 27 2-inch sandwich cookies
Ingredients for the cookies:
- 1/3 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 2 3/4 cups hazelnut flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour, plus more for dusting
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Chocolate Cookie Filling:
- 1 cup palm oil, room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup 70% (or higher cocoa content) chopped chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Chop the dates in a food processor. Add ½ cup of hazelnut flour. Process until mixture is even and the dates are finely chopped.
- Add remaining hazelnut flour, tapioca flour, and salt and blend until consistent.
- Add coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla. Blend until combined and the mixture forms a ball. The dough should be very soft and moist to the touch but not sticky. If it is still sticky, add an additional tablespoon of hazelnut flour.
- Dust a smooth working surface with tapioca flour.
- Form a ball using about half of the dough, place on the work surface and press down with your palm to flatten into a disk shape. Dust the top with tapioca flour and, using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it reaches about ¼ inch thickness. Cut using a 2-inch round cookie cutter. Place cookies on a cookie sheet. Gather the scraps of dough and repeat the process until all of the dough is used.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, depending on desired softness or crunchiness.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the Chocolate Cookie Filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the palm oil and coconut oil until smooth.
- Add honey and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add melted chocolate and stir until combined.
- Spread or pipe onto cookies. (You may need to refrigerate the mixture for a few minutes to stiffen the filling a bit.)
- Place a dollop of Chocolate Cookie Filling (or, use a piping bag if you have one) in the center of one cookie and place another cookie on top, pushing the two cookies together until they evenly sandwich the filling. Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
- Refrigerate until filling is firm and enjoy!