I’ve been on the search for how to make the perfect burger for years now. And, I must say that the quality of my life has most certainly benefited by the process. I am now fully of the belief that there is not just one perfect burger but many. So, I thought I would start by sharing the most commonly consumed version of the perfect burger in my house. The shallots featured in this recipe are amazing because they are both sweet and crispy – a wonderful reminder of onion rings but without the need for batter.
The Perfect Burger (#1)
- 3 medium to large shallots – sliced as thin as possible
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- 4 eggs, fried to your liking
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Heat 1 teaspoon bacon grease over medium-low heat in a medium skillet. Add sliced shallots. Cook for half an hour, stirring every 10 minutes. If the shallots start to sizzle, you will want to turn the heat down a bit.
- Turn temperature to high and stir constantly for 5 minutes. You are looking to have the shallots cooked evenly and golden brown. Lightly salt and set aside.
- Loosely form ground beef into ¾ inch patties. Season both sides of patties with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
- Heat remaining bacon grease in cast iron skillet over high heat.
- Place burgers in pan and cook for 3 minutes, until browned and slightly charred.
- Flip the burgers and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes, or until desired doneness.
- In the meantime, fry your eggs to desired doneness.
- Serve on individual plates.
Now, on to dessert! Check out these other recipes for a lovely follow-up to your perfect burger: