Inspired by the wonderful curry dish my family shared around the table when I was growing up, this chicken curry salad has a really nice balance of natural sweetness with warm spice. I also love the variety of texture in this salad: crispy bacon, flakes of coconut, soft raisins and fresh greens. This is also one of my favorite recipes featured in my 17 Salad Recipes Cookbook!
The Amazing Chicken Curry Salad
Serves 4 for a meal
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup olive oil or warmed bacon grease
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons raisins
For the chicken:
- 1 pound boneless chicken pieces, thighs or breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ¼ cup bacon grease or coconut oil
For the salad, offer a variety of toppings:
- Salad greens, chopped
- Crumbled bacon (about 2 slices bacon per person)
- Chopped green onions
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Hard boiled eggs, chopped (about 1 per person)
- Green and red peppers, finely chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Prepare dressing by combining water, vinegar, curry powder, salt, garlic and raisins in a blender until smooth. Add oils and blend for several seconds. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces. In a bowl, mix chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and curry powder. Heat bacon grease in iron skillet over medium high heat. Cook chicken until slightly browned on both sides and fully cooked on the inside. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare all toppings, including the salad greens.
- Prepare each plate individually with toppings of choice.