There is a lot that I enjoy about this dish. The sweetness of the spaghetti squash combined with the pungent personality of the Italian Olive Salad and the heartiness and spice of the sausage makes for a flavorful and dynamic winter meal.
Spaghetti Squash with Sausage and Italian Olive Salad
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- ½ cup unsalted grass-fed butter or olive oil (or a combination of both)
- 1 small bunch of kale, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Italian Olive Salad
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place spaghetti squash halves cut side down in a baking dish filled with ½ inch of water.
- Place squash in oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until just tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the ground sausage in a medium skillet. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Using the same skillet, melt butter or oil. Add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute. Add chopped kale and stir until wilted. Add cooked sausage to reheat and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Scoop the flesh out of the spaghetti squash and onto plates.
- Top with kale and sausage mixture, then a scoop or two of Italian Olive Salad.
- Serve immediately.