This recipe for Paleo Special Sauce is really wonderful with burgers or sweet potato fries. I’m guessing they’d be really good with Rutabaga Latkes as well but have not yet tried it… If you have never made a mayonnaise-type sauce before you will want to allow yourself more time than you think you need to make this recipe. Be sure to drizzle the olive oil into the mixture more slowly than you think you need to so that the mixture can properly emulsify. If it does not correctly come together, you can always refrigerate the mixture and use it within a day or so as a base for salad dressing (I speak from experience on this one Then, start over and try again!
Paleo Special Sauce
- 2 egg yolks*
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- ½ cup bacon grease, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- Pinch of allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Place egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard in the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend for several seconds, until combined.
- With the food processor running, VERY gradually add olive oil in a slow, steady stream. The mixture should begin to thicken.
- Add bacon grease one dollop at a time, blending for several seconds between each addition.
- Add garlic, sun dried tomatoes, and onion. Blend until smooth.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until combined.
- Keep refrigerated and consume within 3 days.
* Notice: The consumption of raw or undercooked eggs may increase your risk of food borne illness. Consume at your own risk. For more information, please check out this link: www.eggsafety.org.