I really like this Paleo Pumpkin Chiffon Parfait as an alternative to creating a whole pie. What is nice is that it is really versatile. You can choose to just make the pumpkin chiffon and add a dollop of whipped cream or coconut or you can add the crumbled ginger cookie layers or even toasted pecans. If you like this dessert, you may also enjoy trying the Eggnog Chiffon Pie or the Pumpkin Soufflé. A quick note… I would suggest that you choose smaller glasses to serve your parfait than the ones pictured here.
Paleo Pumpkin Chiffon Parfait
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (1 scant tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (from a 15-ounce can)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (liquid from canned coconut milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Coconut milk solids from two cans of coconut milk OR ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 OMG Paleo Ginger Cookies or toasted chopped pecans (optional)
- Place 2 13-oz. cans of coconut milk in refrigerator to cool overnight.
- Remove coconut can from refrigerator. Carefully turn the can upside down and open. Pour out the liquid and set aside (this is the coconut milk you will use in the honey and pumpkin mixture). Then, scoop out the milk solids from the bottom of the can. Place milk solids back in refrigerator until later use.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine 3/4 cup coconut milk, honey, pumpkin, egg yolks, salt and spices. Cook for about 8 minutes, until it starts to thicken. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Meanwhile, pour the cold water into a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over the surface, and allow to stand undisturbed for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pumpkin mixture from the heat and stir in the gelatin mixture. Set aside to chill until partially set, about 1 hour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until frothy. Sprinkle the cream of tartar over the top and continue to beat on high until stiff but still moist peaks are formed.
- Add one-third of the egg whites to the pumpkin mixture and stir to combine. Fold in remaining egg whites. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the coconut milk solids or cream until soft peaks form.
- Prepare individual parfaits by placing 2-3 dollops of pumpkin chiffon and smooth somewhat using a spatula in the bottom of each glass. Follow by crumbling half a ginger cookie in each glass. Add 2-3 dollops of whipped coconut cream and smooth. Repeat with the pumpkin chiffon, another crumbled half ginger cookie, and a last dollop of whipped coconut. Garnish with a dusting of ground cinnamon.