These may very well be my most favorite cookies in the universe. Spicy, chewy, and soft in the middle with a slight crunch on the outside, these ginger cookies are full of warmth and goodness. BTW, if you choose to use add bacon you will want to leave out the additional salt. If you enjoy this recipe, please check out my ebook 17 Delectable Dessert Recipes for the Paleo, Primal, and Gluten-Free Inclined.
OMG Paleo Ginger Cookies
Makes 16 cookies
- 1 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 2½ cups almond meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- ½ tsp cloves, ground
- ½ tsp nutmeg, ground
- 4 tsp ginger, ground
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp bacon grease or coconut oil
- chopped bits of bacon (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In food processor, pulse dates with 1 cup almond meal until the dates are finely chopped.
- Add remaining almond meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ground ginger, soda, and salt. Blend well.
- Add egg, vanilla, and bacon grease. Pulse for 20-30 seconds (stop if the mixture starts to get greasy).
- Mix chopped crystallized ginger and/or bits of bacon into dough by hand (if using).
- Form 1.5 inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Press lightly.
- Bake 8 – 10 min.