Italian Olive Salad is a recent discovery for me. I stumbled upon a jar of this amazing stuff while perusing an imported foods store a few weeks ago. We ate through the jar we purchased in no time flat and so I decided that I needed to learn how to make this deliciousness myself. Typically, Italian Olive Salad is made with a combination of several ingredients that have been pickled. Not having many of these ingredients nearby, I decided to use mostly fresh ingredients, the result of which tastes very similar to the original. Tired of munching on nuts and coconut for your mid afternoon snack? This salad is wonderful to keep in the refrigerator for a quick satisfying bite. This salad also makes a flavorful topping on spaghetti squash, which I’ll cover in my next post. Enjoy!
Italian Olive Salad
Makes about 6 cups
- 2 cups drained pimento-stuffed green olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup black olives
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped cauliflower florets
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 12-ounce jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Place in jar and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to mingle.
- Toss into salads, serve as an appetizer with nut crackers, or eat by the spoonful.