These Honey Lemon Cookies are happy cookies. Really. At least, they make me happy. I especially love the extra zippiness added by the lemon glaze and the lemon zest on top. This recipe makes a thick and sticky dough so you may want to allow yourself extra time for the dough to fully chill before baking if you want pretty, round cookies! Otherwise, you can skip to the end and make quick drop cookies – they’ll be just as tasty. Read the directions below for more details…
Honey Lemon Cookies
Makes about 20 cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- lemon zest, for garnish
- 1 recipe Honey Lemon Glaze (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (if baking the cookies immediately).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in the bowl of a mixer or food processor.
- Add the eggs and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Add the butter and honey and stir to combine, until the dough is consistent.
- If baking immediately, drop the dough in heaping tablespoons onto the cookie sheet and space about 2 inches apart. Or…
- If you want to have round cookies, divide the dough in half, place each half on a sheet of cellophane, and form a log shape with each half. Wrap the dough in the cellophane and refrigerate for several hours to chill. When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven and remove the dough from the cellophane. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into disks. The dough will still be somewhat sticky, so you’ll have to tidy up the shape of the cookies by hand. Place cookies onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake about 12 to 15 minutes, removing the cookies from the oven just as they start to barely turn golden brown.
- Place cookies on cooling rack and allow to cool completely before continuing on to the next step.
- Dip the top of each cookie in Honey Lemon Glaze and place on cooling rack.
- Dust the tops of the cookies with lemon zest.
- Store in a cool place because the glaze softens considerably in warm weather. (In fact, I like to keep them in the refrigerator. I’ve never before considered the idea of a chilled cookie… but these are really good to eat when they’re cold.)
Honey Lemon Glaze
- 1/2 cup palm oil, slightly warmed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a small bowl, combine the palm oil and coconut oil until smooth.
- Stir in the honey.
- Add lemon juice in three parts, stirring until combined between each addition.
Looking for more gluten-free and paleo cookie recipes? How about these: