There is nothing quite like a trip to Southern California. After multiple body surfs and maybe some beach lounging under the bright sun and bluebird sky, its time to satiate that need for salty spice. Choose from any number of fish taco stands along the coast, or maybe return to your favorite, but either way, the constant of deliciously prepared, flaky fish, the creamy yet spicy sauce, the lime juice, the cilantro and the shredded cabbage blend together in the perfect storm of deliciousness in your mouth. In this tasty salad, I revisit the coast yet leave the tortilla behind. This salad is a great way to use up that head of cabbage from your farm share while reliving your last trip so SoCal. Enjoy!!
Fish Taco Salad
For the salad:
- 1 lb flaky white fish
- Salt and pepper
- Very finely shredded red and white cabbage
- Shredded carrots
- Chopped green onions
- Mixed greens
- Cilantro leaves
- Prepare the cabbage (remember, the finer the better! Use a mandolin if you can or carefully chop with a very sharp chef’s knife. Prepare the carrots, green onions, mixed greens and cilantro. Set aside.
- Prepare Fish Taco Salad Dressing (below). Set aside.
- Brush both sides of fish with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium-high heat 3-5 minutes each side, until cooked through.
- Prepare a bed of cabbage mixture on individual plates and drizzle with dressing. Toss slightly. Place cooked fish on top and garnish with more dressing and cilantro.
Fish Taco Salad Dressing:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Directions for the dressing:
- In a small bowl or in a blender, whisk the Greek yogurt and olive oil together.
- Add lime juice and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the cumin, coriander, dill weed, oregano and chili powder and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño and cilantro, and whisk thoroughly.
- Add salt to taste.