I am so excited for the burgeoning fresh veggie season ahead (as I’m sure most of you are as well) and was extremely pleased to discover a huge supply of fresh baby kale suddenly available at my local store. This dish, made with cooked baby kale, sausage, onions and mushrooms, is very easy and quick to throw together. It is also over-the-top tasty! Be sure to choose a high quality sausage that you enjoy as it’s flavor contributes considerably to the overall dish. I’ve been using a spicy buffalo-cheddar sausage but I’m sure it would be great with many other varieties.
Baby Kale with Sausage, Onions, and Mushrooms
Serves 2 as a meal
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped or sliced into 1-inch slivers
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 1/2 pound well-flavored sausage, pre-cooked and sliced
- 6 oz fresh baby kale
- Salt to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon grease to melt.
- Add onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally for about 8-10 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked and slightly browned.
- Add pre-cooked sausage and heat through for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add about half of the kale. Stir until wilted.
- Add the remaining kale and stir until wilted.
- Add salt to taste.
More recipes to check out:
- Sautéed Kale with Bacon and Onion
- Acorn Squash with Italian Sausage and Hazelnuts
- Spaghetti Squash with Sausage and Italian Olive Salad
And… for dessert: