Both in flavor and utility, cauliflower rice is one of those paleo staples that turns out to be delightfully similar to the counterpart we are trying to imitate. This is the recipe that I start with for pretty much any type of “rice” I want to make.
Cauliflower Rice: The Basic Recipe
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 head cauliflower, grated or very finely chopped
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, ghee, or coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Dried parsley
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan fitted with a lid.
- Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the grated cauliflower and stir. Cover and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom and sides of pan occasionally. The rice should be tender but not too soft.
- Add salt and any other desired seasonings to taste. Throw in a tablespoon or two of dried parsley for a splash of color.
- Serve with anything you would ordinarily serve with rice.