If you happen to be looking for a way to easily eat a significant portion of cauliflower in a short period of time, then look no further. This dish is amazing! Inspired by Alice Walker’s recipe for Celery Root and Potato Purée, I’ve swapped out the potato for cauliflower and added a bit of garlic for even more flavor. This dish cools off very quickly so be sure to be ready to serve it right away or place it in a warm oven where it can stay until it’s time to eat.
Cauliflower and Celery Root Smash
- 1 to 1 ½ lbs cauliflower
- ¾ to 1 lb celery root
- 8 Tablespoons grass-fed butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Remove cauliflower leaves and cut florets and stems into medium chunks.
- Prepare a steamer basket and water in a medium saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, trim the peel off of the celery root, cut in half, and slice into ¼ inch or smaller slices.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a medium sized pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Add the celery slices, stir to coat the slices with butter and lightly salt.
- Cover and turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Place the cauliflower into the steaming basket and cover saucepan.
- Cook the cauliflower and the celery root for about 15 to 20 minutes. They should both be very soft and easy to cut with a fork when ready.
- Place the cooked celery root with it’s butter in the bowl of a food processor and blend until finely chopped.
- Add the cauliflower and remaining butter and process. You likely will need to stop the food processor occasionally to stir the remaining larger pieces in with the puréed mixture. Continue working until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add garlic and salt and process until combined.
- Taste and add more butter, salt, or garlic if necessary.