This dish brings together a wonderful array of interesting warm and hearty flavors. It is sure to quickly become a household autumn and wintertime favorite.
Acorn Squash with Italian Sausage and Hazelnuts
- Squash – 3 acorn
- 2 T bacon grease
- 1½ to 2 cups shredded turnips
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ½ cup chopped Italian parsley
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese for topping, grated
- ½ cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Halve and seed squash. Place cut sides down in one or two baking pans. Fill water to ½ inch. Cover with aluminum foil or lid. Place in oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until just tender. When you remove the squash from the oven, set aside to cool and leave the oven turned on.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet fitted with a lid, heat bacon grease over medium-high heat and add chopped onions and garlic. Cook until just starting to brown. Add turnips and cook for about 3 minutes. Add broth, coriander, and turmeric. Stir, bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. If significant amount of liquid remains, remove lid and continue to cook on low heat as you work on the next step.
- In a medium skillet cook the sausage. Add parsley and chopped kale, stirring until wilted. Turn off heat.
- Combine turnip mixture with sausage mixture and hazelnuts. Add salt and pepper if needed and make any other final seasoning adjustments.
- Spoon into squash halves and place in baking dish. Top with grated Parmesan. Bake until heated through, about 10 to 15 minutes.